Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pennies Pennies Everywhere! Save Money on Milk!

A number of years back, I stopped using cow's milk. Before I did, I added water to every gallon to stretch it. I saved a lot of money that way. You can hardly tell the difference if you get the ratio right and it tastes just fine! (I would wait until the gallon was down maybe four inches and then fill it back up and shake it.)

In recent years, for health reasons, I switched to almond milk. I also added water to that and saved money there as well.

Recently, I needed to change for health reasons again! I was a bit stumped until I remembered that you can make oatmeal milk!

Since the only thing I really use milk in is smoothies, instead of almond milk, I just put some water and a small handful of quick oats in the blender with the other ingredients, blend and voila! It works perfectly and amazingly it is MUCH cheaper than almond milk!

If you want to make oatmeal milk that is strained, you can follow this recipe or the many other variations of recipes online:




There are so many ways to save money. There are pennies, pennies everywhere!

Happy Savings!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made oatmeal milk! I like your idea however of putting oatmeal and water in your smoothie, and hence, the milk! However, I do think I am going to try to make oatmeal milk too... and it would be a whole lot cheaper than almond milk for sure! I love seeing these pennies add up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~simply frugalynne~June 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM

      Let me know how it works for you. It tastes great in a smoothie and the quick oats I buy at the bulk store are only .69 lb!

      Delete