Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Re-Purposed Swing


Many things can be re-purposed. We live in a throw away society. This swing is a case-in-point. I bought it at a garage sale maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It was great for a while until the seats got worn out and needed to be replaced. Wouldn't you know it, the seats were pretty much non-replaceable. The swing had been built so that when the seats wore out, that was the end of it's use!! You were forced to throw the set out and buy a whole new swing. This seemed ridiculous to me. Re-purposing sometimes takes creativity and patience. I really, really tried to get the seats to work. I found the cranberry set of seat covers at a garage sale for a whole $1.00 and tried to bungy them on, but it was hopeless. I thought about chair webbing, but there was no rod by the seat to attach it to. So, I finally gave up and was ready to have it hauled off to the salvage. Then, I was at a garage sale last week and voila! A chair hammock! I paid $5.00 for this. Finally the swing has been re-purposed and I feel pretty smug. :)

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I am really looking forward to all your ideas on how to save $$!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far, I am having a lot of fun writing it. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. I found this picture today of another repurposed swing set... pretty cool! Thought I would share it with you ... http://www.fleamarketgardening.org/2013/07/25/how-to-repurpose-an-old-swingset-for-a-swingin-arbor/

    ReplyDelete